This Small Minnesota Police Force Just Resigned Over “Defund the Police” – Now Can We Provide These Officers the Budget They Need?
Law enforcement veteran Michael Letts discusses his outrage over Joe Biden’s inability to provide officers with proper funding.
The “Defund the Police” campaign that kicked off in 2020 following the death of George Floyd has resulted in the ravaging of thousands of police budgets across the United States. And the latest casualty just closed up an entire police force in a small town in Minnesota.
Police officers in Goodhue, Minnesota have resigned entirely from their position, citing low morale and recruitment trouble, as well as staggeringly low pay – only $22 an hour, to be exact.
Washington Times opinion editor Charlie Hurt explained in a recent episode of The Five that “Defund the Police lunatics who pine for an anti-cop utopia just got their wish.”
The campaign, created by thousands of angry Antifa protestors and backed by several politicians (namely Democrats), has resulted in many police officers leaving their positions, as well as defunding that has left them without money for gear and mental health support.
President Joe Biden initially sided with the “defund the police” campaign, but has since changed his tune, noting that they do need the money. However, he’s done very little about it, with his fellow Democrats barely making any movement on the proposed police funding bill.
Could more resignations – like what occurred in Goodhue – be the final straw before police are finally given the money they need? With us now to discuss this further is Michael Letts, a law enforcement veteran with over 30 years of experience under his belt. Letts is founder, President and CEO of InVest USA, an organization that provides bulletproof vests to police officers through various charitable groups and sponsorships. His expertise will certainly prove useful in this matter.
- From a police officer’s perspective, what conditions do you believe would push you to resign from your position?
- Do you think $22 an hour is criminally low pay for someone that puts their life on the line to keep people safe? Even for small-town police?
- What do you think the biggest problem is with the impact of “Defund the Police”? The fact that so many politicians still believe that’s the answer? Or those that say they want to do something about it, but don’t?
- Why do you think Biden isn’t making that much movement in getting the police funded, despite his previous promises to do so?
- What’s going to happen to this country over the next few months if the “fund the police” situation isn’t fixed?
- You’re the creator of InVest USA, an organization that provides bulletproof vests to police officers through various charitable groups and sponsorships. Tell us more about that, and why support for fellow officers is so important right now.
- Tell us more about RestoringJustice.US, the new website where you help out citizens in need surrounding law matters.
- Where can we learn more about InVest USA, Restoring Justice and whatever else you’re working on?
About Michael Letts:
Michael Letts is the Founder, President, and CEO of InVest USA, a national grassroots non-profit organization that is helping hundreds of communities provide thousands of bulletproof vests for their police forces through educational, public relations, sponsorship, and fundraising programs. He also has over 30 years of law enforcement experience under his belt, hence his pro-police stance for his brothers and sisters in blue. Those interested in learning more about Letts can visit his official website here.