The Death of a 17-Year Old Student In Las Vegas Leaves More Questions Than Answers
The law enforcement veteran discusses the horrendous beating, and what it says about the state of criminal activity this year.
Las Vegas is still reeling from a horrifying beating that took place earlier in the week.
A 17-year old student named Jonathan Lewis was beaten severely by eight to ten minors following school sessions, to the point that he was declared brain dead. Apparently the teens had ambushed him, giving him no chance to recover.
Eight of the ten minors responsible for the beating have been arrested, with two more being pursued. But detectives are baffled behind the motive of the attack – and, for that matter, why some were trying to share the videos on social media.
Joining us now to discuss this further is Michael Letts, a law enforcement veteran with over 30 years of experience under his belt. Letts is President, Founder and CEO of InVest USA, an organization that provides bulletproof vests to police officers through various charitable groups and sponsorships. His expertise is certainly welcome in this matter.
- Can you piece together any idea as to why this 17-year old student was beaten to death? What possibly motivated his peers to do so?
- How disturbing is it that some people were filming this for social media instead of trying to help the victim?
- Do you think if there had been more officers on the Las Vegas police force, the beating could have been avoided?
- What does this say about the state of criminal activity in the United States? It’s certainly gotten much worse for a number of cities.
- Despite everything that’s happening, very little movement has been made in regards to giving the police the funding they need to operate properly. How much does this frustrate you, and what can be done about it?
- You’re the creator of InVest USA, an organization that provides bulletproof vests to police officers through various charitable groups and sponsorships. Tell us more about that, and why support for fellow officers is so important right now.
- Tell us more about the Restoring Justice website you’re working with right now.
- You can also learn about my new initiative at RestoringJustice.US, where we discuss lawful issues surrounding citizens of the United States.
- Where can we learn more about InVest USA, and how those interested can help their fellow officers?
- You can visit our official InVest USA website.
About Michael Letts:
Michael Letts is the Founder, President, and CEO of InVest USA, a national grassroots non-profit organization that is helping hundreds of communities provide thousands of bulletproof vests for their police forces through educational, public relations, sponsorship, and fundraising programs. He also has over 30 years of law enforcement experience under his belt, hence his pro-police stance for his brothers and sisters in blue. Those interested in learning more about Letts can visit his official website here.