Has New Mexico Governor Michelle Lujan Grisham Gone Too Far With Her Gun Ban?
Even as she loosens her current restrictions, law enforcement veteran Michael Letts and Gun Owners of America spokesman Stephen Willeford can’t help but wonder how far is too far.
Right before the weekend, New Mexico Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham filled a public health order that effectively banned the public carrying of firearms around the city of Albuquerque, with the exception of those involved with law enforcement.
The sudden – and rash – decision has left an uproar with private gun owners and Republicans alike, who believe Grisham acted without really thinking the matter through. With her medical order, she allowed the suspension of open and concealed carry laws in Albuquerque and Bernalillo County.
Following the controversial decision, Grisham has made revisions after a federal judge temporarily blocked the broader order. With it, guns are still banned, but only near playgrounds and parks in the Albuquerque and County areas.
Said Grisham about the measure that “when New Mexicans are afraid to be in crowds, to take their kids to school, to leave a baseball game – when their very right to exist is threatened by the prospect of violence at every turn – something is very wrong.”
That said, however, critics have also noted how her actions have been “very wrong,” violating the Second Amendment and bringing into question how an all-out gun ban would stop violence. Keep in mind that California tried a similar order, only to see “active shooter” and other criminal events increase.
Joining us now are one of two different spokespeople on the subject.
First up is Michael Letts, a law enforcement veteran with over 30 years of experience under his belt. Letts is Founder, President and CEO of InVest USA, an organization that provides bulletproof vests to police officers through various charitable groups and sponsorships.
There is also Stephen Willeford, a spokesman for the Gun Owners of America. You may recall that Willeford was the “hero with a gun” back in the 2017 Sutherland Springs incident, and he recently co-wrote a book on the subject. His expertise will certainly prove useful in this matter.
- From your personal perspective, did Grisham take matters too far when it came to initiating a health order to ban the carrying of guns in most public places around Albuquerque and Bernadillo County?
- Grisham seems to be the latest politician in direct violation of the Second Amendment with their restrictive gun laws. Do they simply not take the Second Amendment into consideration when it comes to making these laws? Do they think they’ll somehow “slide by” or something else?
- Grisham had to revise the order to smaller areas following a federal judge blocking the previous order. But how long do you think this particular one will stand? Could Grisham also continue to face lawsuits?
- For the longest time you’ve discussed how Constitutional-Carry (or Concealed-Carry) is an effective solution when it comes to “active shooter” events. Can you elaborate further?
- Also, it’s believed that the FBI has solid statistics showing the effectiveness of Constitutional-Carry, but refuse to reveal them. Why do you believe that is?
For Michael Letts…
- You’re the creator of InVest USA, an organization that provides bulletproof vests to police officers through various charitable groups and sponsorships. Tell us more about that, and why support for fellow officers is so important right now.
- Tell us more about RestoringJustice.US, the new website where you help out citizens in need surrounding law matters.
- Where can we learn more about InVest USA, Restoring Justice and whatever else you’re working on?
For Stephen Willeford…
- You recently wrote a book called A Town Called Sutherland Springs: Faith and Heroism Through Tragedy, revolving around your 2017 “hero with a gun” situation. Tell us more about how this came together, and why it’s such an important read right now.
- Where can people find your book?
- Where can we learn more about you, as well as Gun Owners of America?
About Michael Letts…
Michael Letts is the Founder, President, and CEO of InVest USA, a national grassroots non-profit organization that is helping hundreds of communities provide thousands of bulletproof vests for their police forces through educational, public relations, sponsorship, and fundraising programs. He also has over 30 years of law enforcement experience under his belt, hence his pro-police stance for his brothers and sisters in blue. Those interested in learning more about Letts can visit his official website here.
About Stephen Willeford…
Stephen represents Gun Owners of America and is known around the country as the “good guy with the gun” for helping stop the largest Texas mass shooting in the history of the state in 2017. He is available to speak about all gun rights issues, as well as the importance of Gun Owners of America. You can read more about him at http://www.thebarefootdefender.com.