Gov. Gavin Newsom Is Changing His Tune About Enforcing Crime In California – But Is There Purpose Behind That?
Law enforcement veteran Michael Letts wonders what the California Governor is thinking with his latest move – the right one for the wrong reason.
For far too long now, Gov. Gavin Newsom hasn’t nearly been doing enough to support law and order. However, a recent news story revealed he might be starting to get tougher on crime. But is he doing so for the right reason?
Per this report from Fox News, a California Board of Parole were attempting to free 54-year old Derek Pettis, who had been in jail for over three decades following the shooting of a Los Angeles County Sheriff. However, Newsom managed to step in and override the board, keeping Pettis in captivity.
“When considered as a whole, I find the evidence shows that he currently poses an unreasonable danger to society if released from prison at this time,” Newsom wrote. “Therefore, I reverse the decision to parole Mr. Pettis.”
It’s a bit out of left field for Newsom, and there might be a clear reason why. If President Joe Biden isn’t able to successfully set up a re-election campaign (given negative perception surrounding him lately), the Governor could be next in line for a Democratic nomination.
Newsom wouldn’t confirm as such, of course, but when you have a sudden change in behavior, like this, to try and earn public favor, what other reason could there be?
Joining us now to discuss this further is Michael Letts, a law enforcement veteran with over 30 years of experience under his belt. Letts is President, Founder and CEO of InVest USA, an organization that provides bulletproof vests to police officers through various charitable groups and sponsorships. His expertise in all things law and order make him an ideal subject for this interview. Welcome, Mr. Letts!
- What do you think Gov. Newsom’s true intentions are when it comes to denying the freedom of Pettis?
- Does it seem like a sudden change to you? You speculated that Newsom might be doing the “right thing for the wrong reason.”
- Do you believe Newsom could be positioning himself for a Democratic nomination for the White House?
- Do you think Newsom should be doing more with his local police officers in terms of providing them with mental health and gear support?
- Where do you see the 2024 Presidential Election going as a whole?
- You’re the creator of InVest USA, an organization that provides bulletproof vests to police officers through various charitable groups and sponsorships. Tell us more about that, and why support for fellow officers is so important right now.
- Where can we learn more about InVest USA, and how those interested can help their fellow officers.
About Michael Letts…
Michael Letts is the Founder, President, and CEO of InVest USA, a national grassroots non-profit organization that is helping hundreds of communities provide thousands of bulletproof vests for their police forces through educational, public relations, sponsorship, and fundraising programs. He also has over 30 years of law enforcement experience under his belt, hence his pro-police stance for his brothers and sisters in blue. Officer Letts has been a frequent guest on Fox Business News, NewsMax TV, One America News and hundreds of radio programs. Those interested in learning more about Letts can visit his official website here.