Democrats In Boston Just Voted Down Providing Its Police Department With Necessary Funding – But Why?
Law enforcement veteran Michael Letts can’t understand why politics would overcome the need to keep the streets of Boston safe.
Just when it appeared that Boston would get the necessary funds to bring its police force back to full strength, politics have once again ruined everything.
In a new report from Fox News, the Boston Police Department was set to receive $3.4 million in new funding, as an effort to quell the growing crime within its state. However, half of the city’s council members voted against said funding, leaving the police – and the citizens – high and dry.
The opposing council members believe that there were concerns with the local computer system unfairly targeting black and Hispanic youth. However, even in the face of this, there was literally no reason to keep funds away from the police.
To drive home the pure disappointment behind the decision, Larry Calderone, president of the Boston Police Patrolmen’s Association, noted that “crime in the city is out of control” and that “we need hundreds of officers, and we need them tomorrow.”
Joining us now to discuss this situation further is Michael Letts, a law enforcement veteran with over 30 years of experience under his belt. Letts is Founder, President and CEO of InVest USA, an organization that provides police officers through various charitable groups and sponsorships. His expertise will prove useful in this matter.
- What are your personal thoughts on the decision by some of these Democratic council members to not give the police the funding they need to fight back against this massive crimewave?
- Do you believe the “defund the police” movement has influence over their decision?
- They noted that there were concerns over the BRIC system pointing specifically at black and Hispanic youth for crimes. But does this seem like an excuse to you to not provide police the funding they require?
- What do you think will happen to Boston now? Do you believe citizens will react to the poor decision made by some of these council members?
- Are you concerned that President Biden and his fellow Democrats haven’t really made any general movement towards their promised “fund the police” actions? Do you think they’ll even consider it at this point?
- You’re the creator of InVest USA, an organization that provides bulletproof vests to police officers through various charitable groups and sponsorships. Tell us more about that, and why support for fellow officers is so important right now.
- Tell us more about RestoringJustice.US, the new website where you help out citizens in need surrounding law matters.
- Where can we learn more about InVest USA, Restoring Justice and whatever else you’re working on?
About Michael Letts
Michael Letts is the Founder, President, and CEO of InVest USA, a national grassroots non-profit organization that is helping hundreds of communities provide thousands of bulletproof vests for their police forces through educational, public relations, sponsorship, and fundraising programs. He also has over 30 years of law enforcement experience under his belt, hence his pro-police stance for his brothers and sisters in blue. Those interested in learning more about Letts can visit his official website here.