Crime Has Brought the City of Portland To a Standstill – So Why Isn’t Their Government Doing Something About It?
Law enforcement veteran Michael Letts explains how crime has ravaged the once popular city – and if there’s a solution.
The “defund the police” campaign from 2020 has done far more damage than anyone has realized – and all people need to do is look west to Portland to see its effects.
A new report from Fox News has revealed that the city, once considered the “crown jewel of the West Coast,” has crumbled to ruin thanks to increasing criminal activity across three of its counties.
Clackamas County commissioner Ben West explains that “Portland is a hollowed out shell of what it used to be. Businesses are fleeing and people are leaving for greener pastures.”
What’s more, according to police data, criminal activity has spiked much higher than in other states, though no specific reasons were given.
Speaking with Fox News, Washington County District Attorney Kevin Barton confirmed this report, noting, “Each area has different challenges, but what we’re seeing in the metro area is absolutely rising crime.”
And yet, officials have yet to lift a finger on the matter when it comes to increasing the police budget and attempting to fight back against this criminal activity. (It’s worth noting that Portland was one of the key states taking part in the “defund the police” campaign, resulting in their ranks decreasing by the hundreds.)
So what can be done now? Joining us to discuss this further is Michael Letts, a law enforcement veteran with over 30 years of experience under his belt. Letts is Founder, President and CEO of InVest USA, an organization that provides bulletproof vests to police officers through various charitable groups and sponsorships. His expertise will certainly be useful in this discussion.
- What do you think is the key problem that saw Portland fall victim to such a massive crime spree? “Defund the police”? Or something else?
- Why do you think officials are doing very little to resolve the problem? Are they really that afraid of backing down from their “defund the police” stance?
- Does it also concern you that President Joe Biden and his administration have done little to nothing on actually getting police funded, despite his initial promise from months ago?
- What do you believe is the solution here when it comes to stopping the massive crime rate that’s ravaging Portland and other cities?
- Do you have anything you want to say to the police officers still walking the beat in Portland, as well as the citizens remaining there?
- You’re the creator of InVest USA, an organization that provides bulletproof vests to police officers through various charitable groups and sponsorships. Tell us more about that, and why support for fellow officers is so important right now.
- Tell us more about RestoringJustice.US, the new website where you help out citizens in need surrounding law matters.
- Where can we learn more about InVest USA, Restoring Justice and whatever else you’re working on?
About Michael Letts:
Michael Letts is the Founder, President, and CEO of InVest USA, a national grassroots non-profit organization that is helping hundreds of communities provide thousands of bulletproof vests for their police forces through educational, public relations, sponsorship, and fundraising programs. He also has over 30 years of law enforcement experience under his belt, hence his pro-police stance for his brothers and sisters in blue. Those interested in learning more about Letts can visit his official website here.