A Police Dog Played a Vital Role In the Capture of an Escaped Pennsylvania Killer
Law enforcement veteran Michael Letts discusses the importance of police dogs, and why city governments need to continue to take care of them.
Police officers are going through a rough time at the moment, between the lack of care by some of their city governments and growing criminal activity. But there’s also another group of heroes that don’t earn enough respect in the world – police dogs.
One made headlines earlier this week following the capture of Danilo Cavalcante earlier this week. After the convicted murderer from Brazil made his escape from a Pennsylvania jail last week, hundreds of officers went on a manhunt for him.
Cavalcante was trying to use a storm to cover up for his getaway, with a rifle in his possession. However, when police caught on to him and he was trying to get away, a police dog bit him, preventing him from hurting anyone as he was taken into custody.
Though Cavalcante was reportedly “defiant and still resisting arrest,” the dog – along with their fellow officers – stopped him before he could hurt anyone else. Cavalcante is currently awaiting transport to a prison where he will serve a life sentence for murder – and unable to escape this time.
Joining us now to discuss the police dog’s brave actions is Michael Letts, a law enforcement veteran with over 30 years of experience under his belt. Letts is President, founder and CEO of InVest USA, an organization that provides bulletproof vests to police officers through various charitable groups and sponsorships. His expertise will certainly be welcome in this matter.
- Are police dogs used pretty commonly in police departments right now?
- What greater purpose do you think dogs serve for police officers, for those that don’t understand their importance?
- How significant is it that a police dog was able to help capture Cavalcante?
- Why do you think some city governments don’t give police dogs the love and respect they deserve?
- How are police dogs usually assigned? Does it depend on department?
- In your personal experience, what was it like working with police dogs?
- You’re the creator of InVest USA, an organization that provides bulletproof vests to police officers through various charitable groups and sponsorships. Tell us more about that, and why support for fellow officers is so important right now.
- Where can we learn more about InVest USA, Restoring Justice and whatever else you’re working on?
About Michael Letts:
Michael Letts is the Founder, President, and CEO of InVest USA, a national grassroots non-profit organization that is helping hundreds of communities provide thousands of bulletproof vests for their police forces through educational, public relations, sponsorship, and fundraising programs. He also has over 30 years of law enforcement experience under his belt, hence his pro-police stance for his brothers and sisters in blue. Those interested in learning more about Letts can visit his official website here.