A New Report Reveals That Blue Counties Have a Much Higher Murder Rate Than Red Ones
Law enforcement veteran Michael Letts comments on the report – as well as why Democrats may be lying about it.
With all the discussion surrounding the importance of gun laws and the dwindling number of police forces in major cities, a new report has now highlighted one crucial argument about where violence is specifically breaking out the most.
The Heritage Foundation revealed in its report that homicide rates are much higher in Democrat-run “blue counties” over “red counties,” and have been for over two decades. This contradicts previous statements by California Governor Gavin Newsom, who insisted previously that “8 of the top 10 murder states are red.”
So why was the statement made? The report notes that it was due to “flawed” methodology in putting the numbers together.
Kevin Dayaratna, who put together the report alongside Alexander Gage, explained to Fox News, “It is true that red states have higher homicide rates than blue states, but the problem with this is that crime is a hyper-localized phenomenon. It doesn’t make sense to talk about at the state level. It makes sense to talk about at the local level because that’s where the prosecutions occur. The local level crime is handled at the local level by local police, so when you look at this question on a local basis, namely the county level, you’ll see that the trend is reversed.”
Several states have been working more on restrictive gun laws rather than supporting their local police forces, with Boston being the latest example. After a $3.4 million funding bill was presented to the City Council, Democrat members opted to veto it, putting the blame on an outdated computer system that didn’t even have much involvement.
“It is undoubtable that this blue county murder problem has been persisting for quite some time,” Dayaratna added. “And it is quite disingenuous for the Third Way to just present the data as they did. We analyze it from a variety of perspectives at the Heritage Foundation. And we wanted to make sure we put out the proper story.”
Joining us now to discuss this further is Michael Letts, a law enforcement veteran with over 30 years of experience under his belt. Letts is Founder, President and CEO of InVest USA, an organization that provides bulletproof vests to police officers through various charitable groups and sponsorships. His expertise should prove helpful in this matter.
- What’s your first take on this report? Does it sound about right that “blue” states have increased crime over “red” states?
- Is this due to their mismanagement over taking care of police officers? Or setting up gun restrictions that don’t seem to do any bit of good anyway?
- With this report in mind, how does this reflect on the comments made by Gavin Newsom and George Soros with “red” states being worse than “blue” states?
- Do you see the violence continuing to get worse in the months ahead, especially with many states balking when it comes to increasing police budgets?
- Do you think Soros or Newsom will comment on the report at all? Or will they simply let it slide by?
- Tell us more about InVest USA, and why support for fellow officers, in the U.S. and around the world, is so important right now.
- Tell us more about RestoringJustice.US, the new website where you help out citizens in need surrounding law matters.
- Where can we learn more about InVest USA, Restoring Justice and whatever else you’re working on?
About Michael Letts
Michael Letts is the Founder, President, and CEO of InVest USA, a national grassroots non-profit organization that is helping hundreds of communities provide thousands of bulletproof vests for their police forces through educational, public relations, sponsorship, and fundraising programs. He also has over 30 years of law enforcement experience under his belt, hence his pro-police stance for his brothers and sisters in blue. Those interested in learning more about Letts can visit his official website here.