A Crime Surge Just Hit the City of the Top-Ranked Public School In the Country – But What Will California Do About It?
Law enforcement veteran Michael Letts ponders the actions that have hit the University of California Berkeley as of late.
The University of California Berkeley (UC Berkeley for short) is considered the top-ranked public school in the country, right alongside Los Angeles’ own UCLA. But, alas, that doesn’t mean it’s safe from the surging crime rate in the United States.
Fox News recently reported on a UC Berkeley student who was recently carjacked at gunpoint, right outside of a fraternity house. This is the 16th carjacking reported in the town to date, and they’re not slowing down anytime soon.
It’s the latest action in growing criminal activity in the city where the University is located, including 200 robbers so far this year (a five percent increase over the previous year), along with other activity. As a result, the community – as well as parents of the students attending the school – are growing increasingly concerned.
So what can police do about the matter? Joining us now to discuss it further is Michael Letts, a law enforcement veteran with over 30 years of experience under his belt. Letts is founder, President and CEO of InVest USA, an organization that provides bulletproof vests to police officers through various charitable groups and sponsorships. His expertise will certainly prove useful in this matter.
- Why do you think one of the nation’s top schools has suddenly become ravaged with criminal activity? A lower police presence? Much greater opportunity to rob students? Something else?
- Could the growing criminal activity in nearby San Francisco possibly have ties with this situation?
- What do you think the biggest problem is with the police counteracting what’s happening at the university? Not enough officers? Not enough funding to give them support?
- Do you think state officials will look at situations such as this and provide officers with the funding they need? Or could the situation get worse before it gets better?
- What advice do you have to students and parents when it comes to this particular university, as well as others that may have been hit by criminal activity?
- You’re the creator of InVest USA, an organization that provides bulletproof vests to police officers through various charitable groups and sponsorships. Tell us more about that, and why support for fellow officers is so important right now.
- Tell us more about RestoringJustice.US, the new website where you help out citizens in need surrounding law matters.
- Where can we learn more about InVest USA, Restoring Justice and whatever else you’re working on?
About Michael Letts:
Michael Letts is the Founder, President, and CEO of InVest USA, a national grassroots non-profit organization that is helping hundreds of communities provide thousands of bulletproof vests for their police forces through educational, public relations, sponsorship, and fundraising programs. He also has over 30 years of law enforcement experience under his belt, hence his pro-police stance for his brothers and sisters in blue. Those interested in learning more about Letts can visit his official website here.