A 21-Year Old Air National Guardsman Has Been Arrested For Leaking Top Secret Documents, And It Just Makes No Sense (Guest: Michael Letts)
Law enforcement veteran Michael Letts is confused as to how Jack Teixeira got his hands on such information – and why he did what he did with it.
People do make dumb decisions these days – but it’s going to take an awful lot to top the colossal blunder that Air National Guardsman Jack Teixeira just committed.
The 21-year old was arrested Friday morning after reportedly leaking classified documents online through social channels. He has formally been charged, and a hearing on his detention will take place next week as the case moves forward.
But many experts are wondering a couple of things. First off, how such a young man would be able to get his hands on such secure documents; and second, why he thought leaking them to the public would be a good idea, especially pertaining to the sensitive information they had about other countries like South Korea and Israel.
Marc Thiessen, the former chief speechwriter for President George W. Bush, simply called it “treason” – and for the sake of social popularity. “It wasn’t ideological,” he explained to Fox News. “It was some kid trying to show off to his friends in a gaming chat room and has literally affected global national security by doing so. How this happens is beyond me.”
Joining us now is Michael Letts, a law enforcement veteran with over 30 years of experience under his belt. He is Founder, President and CEO for InVest USA, an organization that provides bulletproof vests to police officers through various charitable groups and sponsorships. His expertise on the extent of the law should prove useful in this matter.
- First off, how in the world could these people not understand they were committing a crime? Were the terms simply not laid out for this young man, or did he think he was going to be “cool” by disclosing the information?
- How vital is it to keep the information of national security documents secure? What steps do you believe the government will take when it comes to making them secure from hereon in, to prevent this from happening again?
- What do you think was the big lapse with National security when it came to Teixeira’s situation? Did someone simply forget to log off their computer? Or do you think he got access some other way?
- We’re seeing all sorts of crises when it comes to leaked information. Do current or previous administrations’ handling of classified documents play a role in this? Or are certain individuals to blame?
- Could this current crisis affect Law Enforcement officers in any way? Could such a thing also affect local officers if important information is suddenly revealed, like the identity of undercover officers and what-not?
- Where do you see the Biden administration moving forward on this matter? Do you think we’ve seen the last of leaks such as these?
- You’re the creator of InVest USA, an organization that provides bulletproof vests to police officers through various charitable groups and sponsorships. Tell us more about that, and why support for fellow officers is so important right now.
- Where can we learn more about InVest USA, and how those interested can help their fellow officers.
You can visit our official InVest USA website, and learn more on the official Invest USA Twitter account. You can also learn about my new initiative at RestoringJustice.US, where we discuss lawful issues surrounding citizens of the United States.
About Michael Letts:
Michael Letts is the Founder, President, and CEO of InVest USA, a national grassroots non-profit organization that is helping hundreds of communities provide thousands of bulletproof vests for their police forces through educational, public relations, sponsorship, and fundraising programs. He also has over 30 years of law enforcement experience under his belt, hence his pro-police stance for his brothers and sisters in blue. Those interested in learning more about Letts can visit his official website here.