Uvalde: What Have We Learned One Year Later? (Guest: Michael Letts)
Law enforcement veteran Michael Letts reflects on the tragic event and explains how police response has increased for the better since then.
This week marks the one year since a lone gunman infiltrated Robb Elementary in Uvalde, Texas, killing 19 children and two adults. However, this incident has left a lot more questions than answers. For instance, why were so many police officers standing around outside, unable to move into the school to stop the shooter?
Since that time, we’ve seen several officers relieved of their duty, and the town trying to rebuilt trust in those that remain – something easier said than done. However, there is one positive from all this – police in other states have responded to incidents much more quickly, without any sort of delay like what took place in Uvalde.
With us now to discuss this is Michael Letts, a law enforcement veteran with over 30 years of experience under his belt. He is President, Founder and CEO for InVest USA, an organization that provides bulletproof vests to police officers through various sponsorships and charitable groups. His expertise will certainly prove useful here.
- What’s probably the most frustrating element to take away from what happened in Uvalde last year? The lack of response from so many police officers standing around outside? Or something else?
- Did it come down to bad communication, or would you say that the wrong people were in charge that day? Should they have seen any sort of jail time, or is being released enough of a punishment?
- Do you think trust could ever be rebuilt in the remaining police officers in Uvalde? Or do you think it’s going to take more time? Is there anything they can do?
- We’ve noted that we’ve seen faster response time from police officers in other states following what happened in Uvalde. How proud would you say you are of these officers?
- You’re the creator of InVest USA, an organization that provides bulletproof vests to police officers through various charitable groups and sponsorships. Tell us more about that, and why support for fellow officers is so important right now.
- Where can we learn more about InVest USA, and how those interested can help their fellow officers.
- You can visit our official InVest USA website, and learn more on the official Invest USA Twitter account. You can also learn about my new initiative at RestoringJustice.US, where we discuss lawful issues surrounding citizens of the United States.
About Michael Letts:
Michael Letts is the Founder, President, and CEO of InVest USA, a national grassroots non-profit organization that is helping hundreds of communities provide thousands of bulletproof vests for their police forces through educational, public relations, sponsorship, and fundraising programs. He also has over 30 years of law enforcement experience under his belt, hence his pro-police stance for his brothers and sisters in blue. Those interested in learning more about Letts can visit his official website here.