Last week, right before the Labor Day weekend, President Joe Biden issued a speech talking about the influence of “MAGA Republicans” and former President Donald Trump, indicating that the GOP has become “a threat to this country.” However, some people have taken a closer look at the speech beyond Biden’s words, noting a couple of Marine soldiers on the stage.
A veterans’ organization recently voiced negativity against Biden for using Marines “as props” for his divisive speech.
John Byrnes, who is a U.S. Marine Corps veteran and currently serves as deputy director for Concerned Veterans for America, noted that “men in women in uniform serve the country, not a party,” serving “a solemn oat that should not be taken lightly or taken advantage of.”
He added, “When elected officials use our troops as props in political and partisan messaging, it undermines the nonpartisan nature of our military and erodes trust in the institution.”
An official for the White House previously noted that the President was simply providing an “important speech last night about our democracy and our values, values that our men and women in uniform fight every day to protect.” But there are those still questioning why Marines were present instead of other politicians or even Secret Service agents.
With us now to provide his perspective on the matter is Michael Letts. Michael has served with law enforcement for over 30 years, and currently presides as president, founder and CEO for InVest USA. They are an organization that provides bulletproof vests to police officers, through a number of charitable organizations and foundations. His expertise will certainly be welcome in this matter.
- What are your thoughts on military soldiers possibly being “props” in the midst of what appears to be a message that divides one part of this country from the other?
- An officer usually serves the people and shouldn’t necessarily be on one side or another when it comes to certain issues from higher-ups, as that could easily create preference and possible personal bias. Couldn’t preference get in the way of someone doing their job effectively?
- There are a number of government watch dogs that believe that Biden’s use of Marine soldiers could possibly go against military code. Do you believe this is the case? What sort of punishment could come from this if he doesn’t apologize?
- Does this further add to the frustration over not being able to get police officers proper funding for additional hirings of officers and mental care? We’ve already seen a number of officers forcibly retire (or worse) over growing conditions out in the field.
- Kendra Arnold, who serves as executive director for the Foundation for Accountability and Civic Trust, noted that “the men and women of our Armed Forces serve and protect the freedom of all Americans, not a particular political party or ideological agenda.” Do you believe this is pretty much spot on?
- Who should have Biden had on the stage with him instead of U.S. Marines? Or would it have really mattered?
- Where can others learn more about InVest USA, as well as how they can contribute to help fellow police officers?
- More information is available on the official website at http://www.investusa.org.
About Michael Letts:
Michael Letts is the Founder, President, and CEO of InVest USA, a national grassroots non-profit organization that is helping hundreds of communities provide thousands of bulletproof vests for their police forces through educational, public relations, sponsorship, and fundraising programs. He also has over 30 years of law enforcement experience under his belt, hence his pro-police stance for his brothers and sisters in blue. Those interested in learning more about Letts can visit his official website here.