Ever since several states “gutted” budgets for police officers following the “Defund the Police” campaign from 2020, police departments have seen dire conditions, ranging from extended hours to many leaving the line of duty before earning their pension. And signs indicate that relief isn’t coming anytime soon.
A new video report from Fox News reveals that Democrats aren’t going to move forward on any sort of police program until after the elections that take place in November. While no specific notes were given in regards to this, it looks like they want to focus their time, energy and funding on new candidates to keep balance in the House.
This is in spite of several key Democrats, alongside President Joe Biden, noting that they wanted to reverse the “defund the police” campaign and provide them support. However, it doesn’t look like any action will be taken over the next few weeks, leaving many politicians – and police officers – frustrated.
Speaking with us now about the matter is Michael Letts, who has 30 years of law enforcement under his belt. Michael currently serves as president, founder and CEO for InVest USA, an organization that provides bulletproof vests to police officers, through various charitable groups and sponsorships. His expertise will certainly weigh heavily on this matter.
- It seems that the Democrats are pointing the finger at the GOP in regards to the police not getting their proper funding. But Fox’s report suggests otherwise. What do you think about all this?
- How frustrating is it that city officials and politicians aren’t listening to what’s happening in states with low police presence?
- Why do you think it’s so difficult for a bill to be passed to give police the support? Could some be worried about a potential “Defund the Police Again” campaign from protestors? Or other interested parties?
- We’ve seen a record number of officers quit after being worn out from duty, and some even commit suicide because it’s too much to bear. Do you think politicians and city officials will change their tune once these numbers – along with growing criminal activity – add up?
- If you were in charge of putting a bill on record to provide police the funding they need, how would you go about structuring it? Would mental health come first? Protective gear?
- Tell us more about InVest USA, and what this organization does to protect police officers. How’s the program going, and do you see officers truly benefitting from the vests that you provide?
- Where can we learn more about In-Vest USA, and how those wanting to support the police can make contributions to the group?
- You can visit the official website at http://www.investusa.org.