InVest USA’s Michael Letts explains why EMS reps need the same level of protection as police officers, especially now.
As New York’s crime wave continues to grow out of control, many are mourning the death of FDNY Lt. Alison Russo-Elling, who was stabbed to death over the weekend after serving with Huntington Community First Aid Squad for nearly three decades.
A suspect was arrested after stabbing Russo 20 times in broad daylight, leaving people to wonder if medical professionals should have the same level of protection as police officers, considering their line of work.
In a press conference, NYPD Commissioner Keechant Sewell condemned the attack. “This deadly, senseless, broad daylight attack on a uniformed EMT member is a direct assault on our society,” she explained. “It is the latest consequence of the violence that we relentlessly fight in our city.”
With us now is Michael Letts, who has served with law enforcement over 30 years. Michael currently serves as founder, president and CEO of InVest USA, an organization that provides bulletproof vests to police officers, through various charitable groups and sponsorships. His expertise should prove useful in this matter.
- First off, what do you think about what’s happening in New York? The death of Russo-Elling seems to come just months after 2,000 officers reportedly quit the NYPD without collecting their pension.
- Who do you think is to blame for the rising crime wave within the city? We’re seeing more attacks on police officers, as well as EMT’s and other professionals.
- With the death of Lt. Russo-Elling, do you think the time has come to provide EMT’s and EMS representatives with the same level of protection as police officers? Such as active shooter vests and possible other gear?
- Do you think New York will do anything to provide them this gear with the passing of Russo? Or do you think more criminal activity will take place before they take to action?
- If you had the chance to draft a bill that would help fight back against criminal activity within the city, how would you go about it?
- Tell us more about InVest USA, and how it’s helping police officers, especially in their time of need.
- Where can we learn more about In-Vest USA, and how people can contribute to the group?
a. You can visit the official website at http://www.investusa.org.
About Michael Letts:
Michael Letts is the Founder, President, and CEO of InVest USA, a national grassroots non-profit organization that is helping hundreds of communities provide thousands of bulletproof vests for their police forces through educational, public relations, sponsorship, and fundraising programs. He also has over 30 years of law enforcement experience under his belt, hence his pro-police stance for his brothers and sisters in blue. Those interested in learning more about Letts can visit his official website here.