With active shooter events still unfolding in the United States, many states and provinces are putting together their own rules to try and slow down the violence. Meanwhile, in Jackson, Mississippi, a new initiative may soon be introduced to keep schools safe.
This past week, the Mississippi Board of Education voted to change an internal policy put in place way back in 1990. Previously, it prevented anyone other than law enforcement from carrying guns into public schools. With its revision, however, the schools could very well set their own policies.
Jean Cook, director of communication for the Board, noted, “A school district may, in its discretion, prohibit or allow its employees who hold enhanced concealed carry licenses to possess weapons at the school.” Currently, the board has put it in place as a temporary rule, allowing for a 25-day public comment period to monitor feedback. After that, however, it could become permanent.
Could this be a precedent that should go to different states and counties as well, especially in the face of what happened at Uvalde Elementary a few weeks ago? Here to discuss the matter further is Michael Letts, who has been with law enforcement well over 30 years. Along with being a pro-police advocate, Letts also serves as founder and CEO of InVest USA, an organization that provides bulletproof vests to officers through various charitable foundations and sponsorships.
- What do you think about Mississippi revising its policy to allow others aside from law enforcement conceal-carry at schools? Do you believe this will go a long way in keeping people safe?
- Some parents may be concerned about other people aside from officers carrying guns into schools. What advice would you have for them to soften their concerns?
- Do you believe this policy should go into effect in other states and counties? Or is that something you believe should be left up to the individual education boards?
- Could this go a long way into approving more concealed-carry rules for other states if it proves effective?
- Which do you think is more effective – having those that concealed-carry on school grounds or more police presence? Or perhaps both?
- Where can we learn more about In-Vest USA?
- You can visit the official website at http://www.investusa.org.