Some Facebook users have been complaining as of late about some of their posts leading to temporary or even permanent bans. But the censorship appears to go much deeper than that, according to Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg’s recent appearance on The Joe Rogan Show.
The founder of the popular social site spoke to Joe Rogan on the show about the FBI stepping in to censor certain posts surrounding the controversy with a laptop owned by Hunter Biden, son of President Joe Biden.
“The FBI basically came to us and some folks on our team and said, ‘Hey, just so you know, you should be on high alert, we thought there was a lot of Russian propaganda in the 2016 election, and we have noticed that basically there’s about to be some kind of dump that’s similar to that, so be vigilant.’”
That said, Zuckerberg can’t recall them saying something specific about the FBI mentioning the laptop story, only that it “fit the pattern.” As a result, the site has been a little more vigilant about such posts as of late.
Here to speak with us about this matter is Michael Letts, who brings more than 30 years of experience in law enforcement to the table. He currently serves as president, founder and CEO of InVest USA, an organization that provides bulletproof vests to police officers through various charitable foundations and sponsorships. His expertise should provide some weight to this matter.
- If Zuckerberg’s alleged statements about the FBI have some truth to them, what does it say about our right to freedom of speech as a whole?
- Obviously, there are those out there that thrive on posting about propaganda and misinformation, but do you believe Facebook went too far by following the FBI’s warning?
- Having a government agency step in and state what can and can’t be said about a certain subject seems a bit scary, doesn’t it? Especially when it revolves around the president’s son, truth or not.
- Several people on Facebook have complained about censorship of their posts. How does this issue tie into that, and what do you think about the future of the social site as a whole?
- Does this continue to add to your theory that the FBI is extending its “justice reach” as of late? Especially with what followed at Mar-a-Lago a few weeks ago?
- If you were in charge of investigating this situation, what would your first steps be in terms of finding the truth? And if you did find the FBI were involved, what would be the following steps after that?
- Where can people learn more about what you’re currently doing with InVest USA, and where can they help contribute?
- More information can be found on the official website at http://www.investusa.org.