Law enforcement veteran Michael Letts is left with distributing questions following the death of two beloved officers.
As if things aren’t already difficult enough for the police in the United States, a harrowing event has left many wondering if they’re being targeted by certain individuals.
Late Wednesday evening, two police officers were killed and one was seriously injured after receiving a 911 report about a domestic incident in Bristol. It turned out to be an ambush, with the officers coming under fire.
Sgt. Dustin DeMonte, 35, and Officer Alex Hamzy, 34, died in the shootout, while Officer Alec Iurato, 26, was injured. The assailant, identified as Nicholas Brutcher, was shot and pronounced dead on the scene.
“Today, our hearts are broken. We are united in immeasurable grief for those hero officers, for their families, and friends and for our all of our law enforcement personnel. Bristol and the entire nation needs to wrap our arms around them as well as our own loved ones.” Bristol Mayor Jeff Caggiano said in a statement.
Speaking with us now is Michael Letts, who has over 30 years of law enforcement service under his belt. Michael currently serves as president, CEO and founder of InVest USA, an organization that provides bulletproof vests to police officers through various charitable groups and sponsorships. His expertise will certainly provide weight to this matter.
- How heartbreaking is it to hear about these police officers being killed or severely injured at such a young age?
- It sounds like the officers at Bristol were very close, and they resounded their sorrow in their losses. As an experienced law enforcement professional, can you tell us more about the bond between police officers?
- Now let’s talk about the shooting. The 911 call reported a domestic disturbance but it appeared to be a setup. Are there any warning signs to look out for with something like this? Or was there simply nothing to see?
- Why do you think Brutcher had such a hatred against police officers? Are we seeing more animosity towards them following the “defund the police” riots from a couple of years ago? Something else, perhaps?
- Many have noted that certain “media figures and politicians” have “had it out” for the police, defaming them at every turn and bringing more public animosity towards them. Do you feel that this is the case? And if so, can anything be done about it?
- This appears to be the latest shooting against law enforcement officers this week, with 12 being shot over the course of the week. Are we seeing a disturbing trend that could be on the rise? What would you do to try and contain it?
- There’s a bill currently making its way through Congress to provide police officers with monetary support. Do you think these tragedies will help accelerate it at all?
- Tell us more about InVest USA, and how it’s helping police officers. We believe you’re interested in donating some vests to the police in Bristol, correct?
- Where can we learn more about In-Vest USA, and how people can contribute to the group?
You can visit the official website at http://www.investusa.org.