Law enforcement veteran Michael Letts can’t quite piece together how someone so young could take part in something like this.
An active shooter event has taken place in Raleigh that has left five dead – and many wondering why it happened.
A suspect who’s only 15 years old was taken into custody and pronounced in critical condition after the shooting, in which five people – including a police officer – were killed.
“My heart is heavy because we don’t have answers as to why this tragedy occurred,” said Raleigh Police Department Chief Estella Patterson. At the moment, her department is still gathering information as to why the young suspect would perform such an act.
Joining us now is Michael Letts, who has over 30 years of law enforcement to his credit. Letts currently serves as president, founder and CEO for InVest USA, an organization that provides bulletproof vests to police officers through various charitable groups and sponsorships. His expertise will certainly weigh in on this matter.
- The thought of another active shooting event – especially in such a large, populated city – seems scary enough as it is. But the fact that the shooter was only 15 years old…what’s your take on this?
- What do you think might have motivated the shooter to act the way he did? Trouble at home? Perhaps another behavior-related issue?
- This is the latest shooting to involve the death of a police officer, mere days after two lost their lives in Bristol. How tough do you think police officers have it at the moment, between a lack of support from higher-up offices and the violence they experience each day?
- This marks the 25th active shooter event this year. Could this possibly get worse in 2023 with even more to come?
- What do you think is the best solution when it comes to countering active shooter events? You’ve spoken in the past about the effectiveness of concealed-carry.
- Why do you think concealed-carry would be more effective against, say, President Joe Biden’s proposed assault weapons ban?
- Do you have anything you’d like to say to the people and police officers of Raleigh?
- We’ve heard InVest USA wants to donate several vests to the Raleigh Police Department as needed. Can you tell us more about the organization and how it helps officers in need?
- Where can we learn more about In-Vest USA, and how people can contribute to the group?
You can visit the official website at http://www.investusa.org.
About Michael Letts:
Michael Letts is the Founder, President, and CEO of InVest USA, a national grassroots non-profit organization that is helping hundreds of communities provide thousands of bulletproof vests for their police forces through educational, public relations, sponsorship, and fundraising programs. He also has over 30 years of law enforcement experience under his belt, hence his pro-police stance for his brothers and sisters in blue. Those interested in learning more about Letts can visit his official website here.