What does it take to stop active shooter events such as this from happening?
This week of Thanksgiving has been marred by two active shooter events that have left several people dead.
Sunday night, a suspect opened fire in Q Club in Colorado Springs, killing five and injuring several others. Just two nights later, a former employee walked into a Walmart in Chesapeake, Virginia, killing six and injuring others.
It’s the latest in an ongoing trend of active shooter events, which have reached into the hundreds for the year of 2022. And it doesn’t appear to be slowing down anytime soon, both with a lack of proper police officer support and any sort of action taken by Joe Biden and his administration, as well as certain key figures in the House and Senate.
With us now to discuss this frustratingly growing trend is Michael Letts, a law enforcement veteran with over 30 years of experience under his belt. Letts currently serves as president, founder and CEO for InVest USA, an organization that provides bulletproof vests to police officers through various sponsorships and charitable groups. His expertise should prove rather useful in this matter.
- We’ve seen two active shooter events nearly back-to-back this week. How hard is it to watch events like this unfold?
- What do you think the big problem is here? The lack of a solution in Washington to quell these attacks? The lack of support for our police? Or would you say it’s some of both?
- You’ve been saying for some time that approving a Constitutional-Carry law would speak volumes compared to the “assault weapons” ban that President Joe Biden is suggesting. Why do you believe it would work better for the people?
- Some are suggesting that the Colorado Springs shooting was a “hate crime.” However, you recently wrote an op-ed explaining that all crime should be considered “hate crime.” Can you elaborate on this further?
- Now that Republicans are set to take back the House of Congress in 2023, do you believe progress will be made towards providing police with further support, or moving forward towards a gun law that would work in favor of stopping active shooter events?
- What advice do you have for people this holiday season, given the nature of what’s happening at the moment?
- Tell us more about InVest USA, and how it’s helping police officers, especially in their time of need.
- Where can we learn more about In-Vest USA, and how people can contribute to the group?
You can visit the official website at http://www.investusa.org.
About Michael Letts:
Michael Letts is the Founder, President, and CEO of InVest USA, a national grassroots non-profit organization that is helping hundreds of communities provide thousands of bulletproof vests for their police forces through educational, public relations, sponsorship, and fundraising programs. He also has over 30 years of law enforcement experience under his belt, hence his pro-police stance for his brothers and sisters in blue. Those interested in learning more about Letts can visit his official website here.